SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Award-winning graphic designer with extensive experience creating branded visual design and illustration for online media, marketing communications, advertising, instruction and education, and book and magazine publishing. Typography-driven aesthetic, aptitude for translating complex concepts into clear visual design, and solid production/pre-press skills.
Freelance Graphic Designer • 1994 – present
- Designed print and Web collateral and graphics, including trade show displays, point-of-sale subscription
cards, lesson plans, brochures, sell sheets, custom banner graphics, promotions, and identity for a variety of audiences and age groups.
- Layout and image retouching for display advertising, showroom graphics,
and catalogs for campaigns including Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep showroom
displays and Dewar’s outdoor marketing.
- Developed corporate-branded franchise property bibles for Coca-Cola’s
Happiness Factory, Hasbro’s Transformers, and Valiant Entertainment for
transmedia marketing campaigns.
- Built IA and visual design for New York
City jazz ensemble and elder law firm Web sites, customized for the unique
needs of each client’s content and audiences; redesigned home page for education support services company.
- Designed and produced print and Web promotional materials, periodicals, coffee-table books, hardcovers, trade paperbacks,
and textbooks for boutique and
- Provided pre-press support for clients and communicated with print vendors to prevent potential problems. Prepared detailed vendor instructions for print-ready output, large-format, and short-run four-color printing.
Graphic Designer Kaplan K12 Learning Services, New York, NY •
January 2003 – February 2010
- Designed and directed production of flagship K–12 educational print products
and campaigns with a focus on age-appropriate usability and consistency via
clean, pedagogically-driven information design. Deliverables included product
identity, iconographic navigation, classroom textbooks, kit packaging, flash
cards, professional development manuals, custom curriculum teacher guides,
assessment tests, banner ads, and RFP presentations.
- Built brand- and product-specific marketing collateral, including catalogs, mailers, brochures,
Web graphics, sell sheets, advertising, and trade show displays.
- Redesigned small-scale reading-intervention product into award-winning,
corporate-branded SpellRead product line.
- Collaborated with Creative team and management on first company-wide
rebranding since inception.
- Directed and trained team of 10–15 in-house and off-site production artists,
and produced annotated layout templates for department implementation.
- Launched quality standards initiative, establishing design, production, and prepress workflows
and troubleshooting with print vendors to improve product quality.
Multimedia Designer Winslow Press, New York, NY •
March 1998 – August 1999
- Produced Web and print advertising, curriculum guides, and catalogs, including image
retouching and illustration, for company Web site, magazine ads, and promotional materials.
- Typeset and produced children’s and YA novels, tailoring typography to each audience’s skill
level and learning ability.
- Designed photo-illustration ad featured on the cover of Publishers Weekly, November 1998.
Promotions Design Assistant Workman Publishing, New York, NY •
December 1994 – March 1998
- Implemented designs for publicity, sales, and promotional materials, including retail event kits,
die-cut point-of-purchase displays, promotional items, and trade show signage.
- Designed and laid out book covers, wall and Page-A-Day calendars, and Brain Quest card
decks and created print-ready mechanicals.
American InHouse Design Award for Logo Design, SpellRead GDUSA • 2008
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
eBooks with InDesign and Dreamweaver Noble Desktop, New York, NY • November 2011
Adobe InCopy AGI Training, New York, NY • June 2005
Adobe Illustrator and QuarkXpress School of Visual Arts, New York, NY • January 1993
B.A., Computer Science Queens College, CUNY • June 1983
Included courses in art, art history, drafting, and film production.
Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, InCopy, QuarkXpress, Microsoft Office. Basic Fireworks, Dreamweaver, HTML, CSS, and
ePub production. Comfortable with both Macintosh and Windows OS environments.