SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Award-winning graphic designer with more than ten years of experience creating branded visual design and illustration for instruction and education, publishing, print and Web advertising, marketing communications, online media, and packaging. Typography-driven aesthetic, aptitude for translating complex concepts into clear visual design, and solid production/pre-press skills.
Freelance Graphic Designer • 1994 – present
- Designed print and Web collateral and graphics for instruction and education information services, including lesson plans, brochures, newsletters, catalogs, sell sheets, point-of-sale and trade show displays, posters, promotions, logos, and identity for a variety of audiences and age groups.
- Developed corporate-branded franchise property bibles for Coca-Cola’s Happiness Factory, Hasbro’s Transformers, and Valiant Entertainment for transmedia marketing campaigns.
- Built IA and visual design for New York City jazz ensemble and elder law firm Web sites, customized for the unique needs of each client’s content and audiences; redesigned home page for education support services company.
- Created layouts and edited images for display advertising, showroom graphics, and Web banner ads for campaigns including Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep showroom displays, Dewar’s outdoor marketing, the New York Public Library, and the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.
- Designed and produced coffee-table books, hardcovers, trade paperbacks, and textbooks for boutique and independent publishers.
- Provided pre-press support for clients and communicated with print vendors to prevent potential problems. Prepared detailed vendor instructions for print-ready output, large-format, and short-run four-color printing.
Graphic Designer • Kaplan K12 Learning Services, New York, NY
January 2003 – February 2010
- Designed and directed production of flagship K–12 educational print products and campaigns with a focus on age-appropriate usability and consistency. Collaborated closely with curriculum developers and editors to create clean, pedagogically-driven information design. Deliverables included product identity, iconographic navigation, classroom textbooks, kit packaging, flash cards, professional development manuals, custom curriculum teacher guides, assessment tests, banner ads, and RFP presentations.
- Redesigned small-scale grades 2–12 reading-intervention product into award-winning, corporate-branded SpellRead product line.
- Built brand- and product-specific marketing collateral, including catalogs, sell sheets, print/Web advertising, mailers, brochures, trade show displays, and Web site graphics.
- Collaborated with Creative team and management on first company-wide rebranding since company inception.
- Launched quality standards initiative, establishing design, production, and pre-press workflows and troubleshooting with several print vendors to improve product quality.
- Directed and trained team of 10–15 in-house and off-site production artists, and produced annotated layout templates for department implementation.
Multimedia Designer • Winslow Press, New York, NY
March 1998 – August 1999
- Produced curriculum guides, catalogs, and print and Web advertising, including image editing and illustration, for company Web site, B2B magazine advertising, and promotional materials.
- Designed photo-illustration ad featured on the cover of Publishers Weekly, November 1998.
- Typeset and produced children’s and YA novels, tailoring typography to each audience’s skill level and learning ability.
Promotions Design Assistant • Workman Publishing, New York, NY
December 1994 – March 1998
- Implemented designs for publicity, sales, and promotional materials, including catalogs, retail event kits, die-cut point-of-purchase displays, trade show signage, sell sheets, brochures, and promotional items.
- Designed and laid out book covers, wall and Page-A-Day calendars, and Brain Quest card decks and created print-ready mechanicals.
American InHouse Design Award for Logo Design, SpellRead • GDUSA • 2008
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
eBooks with InDesign and Dreamweaver • Noble Desktop, New York, NY • November 2011
Adobe InCopy • AGI Training, New York, NY • June 2005
Adobe Illustrator and QuarkXpress • School of Visual Arts, New York, NY • January 1993
B.A., Computer Science • Queens College, CUNY • June 1983
Included courses in art, art history, drafting, and film production.
Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, InCopy, QuarkXpress, Microsoft Office. Basic Fireworks, Dreamweaver, HTML, CSS, and ePub production. Comfortable with both Macintosh and Windows OS environments.